Nagaland imports livestock products worth Rs 211.94 crore | MorungExpress

Our correspondent
Kohima | March 25

Nagaland state produces 45.07% of the total livestock product requirement worth Rs. 1022.61 crores leaving a shortfall of 54.93% as per the survey report sample of 2020 -21.

Out of this shortfall, the state has imported livestock products worth Rs. Just completed 11th session of the 13th Nagaland Legislative Assembly.

The report argued that the state of Nagaland, which produces 45.07% of total livestock product requirements, was a “very positive sign” that there are immense potentials and opportunities for livestock development. in the state in terms of demand and supply.

“However, despite the gap that exists today in terms of demand and supply, the import quantum of livestock products is gradually declining from the base level of 2001-02 which, in monetary terms, is s amounted to Rs 375.00 crores and in 2020-21 the value of imports was calculated at Rs 211.94 crores,” the report said.

This declining import quantum suggests that there is a positive correlation between the state’s domestic products and the existing human population.

“Naga eating habits are changing”
Also, the per capita availability of meat and milk in the state is good, although low, the fact remains that the food habits of the Nagas are changing in the modern era as the urban population depends on balanced foods like rice, meat, milk, vegetables. , fruits, wheat and its products and which are not as dependent on meat as they were a decade ago, the report says.

Animal husbandry and poultry farming have been an integral part of the people of Nagaland since time immemorial and are symbolic of the health and wealth of a Naga family.

In addition to the efficient use of agricultural products and by-products unfit for human consumption, animal husbandry practices have played a central role in increasing family incomes and creating employment for the rural poor.

“This inherent aptitude of the people must be harnessed to provide valuable animal protein essential to maintaining the physical health of the people as well as providing draft power for cultivation, especially in the foothills areas of the state” , says the report.

Comments are closed.